Three colors. Three flavors. Three experiences.
The number three is weird. We separate phone numbers in three. We say statements like “third times a charm.” We count to three before we open a tight jar (I can’t be the only one who has trouble opening jars of strawberry jam).
I practice something called the “three question rule.” If I am feeling insecure, overwhelmed, or just experiencing a “meh” kind of week — I ask myself if whatever is bothering me will matter in three days, three months, or three years?
The answer is no most of the time, but it is still hard to accept imperfections.
I am doing the best that I can.
But sometimes I fall flat. I fall short. I literally fall.
However, when you feel especially low, remember, there are cookies somewhere ready to be eaten, places waiting to be explored, and opportunities being created for you.
Life is hard, but it is oh so sweet.
YIELD: 35 cookies PREP TIME: 20 minutes
RESTING + BAKING TIME: 3 hours + 12 minutes TOTAL TIME: 3 hours and 32 minutes
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon strawberry jam
- 1 drop pink food coloring
- 1/4 teaspoon strawberry extract for extra flavor
- 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate, melted (cooled)
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a larger bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add 1 egg + 1 egg yolk to butter mixture* and vanilla extract.
- Combine flour and butter mixture together until a dough forms.
- Separate dough into three separate bowls.
- Bowl 1: do nothing.
- Bowl 2: combine 1-1/2 tablespoons of flour, strawberry jam, pink food coloring, strawberry extract.
- Bowl 3: combine cocoa powder and melted chocolate.
- Begin layering the doughs together in parchment lined loaf pan or in half a 9×9 dish.*
- Layer strawberry dough, vanilla dough, and then chocolate.
- Allow to rest in the fridge for 4 hours.
- Slice into small squares (refer to pictures).
- Brush on egg white and bake for 12 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Decorate with melted chocolate or another coating.
- All ingredients should be room temperature.
- Remember to separate the egg for the dough.
- If you do not have a loaf pan, just section the dough into a log (9×5).
- Decorate or leave normal; it’s up to you
- This recipe is from Sally’s Baking Addiction