Welcome to the first recipe of 2017! I wanted to start off with a cake because cake makes life better, right?
This week was incredibly stressful. My school prefers to make finals after break, which makes no sense. How am I suppose to remember so much information after two weeks?
To celebrate one more semester of high school and the completion of finals I decided to bake a cake. Not any cake, though. A cherry chip cake. A cake with chocolate, cherries, fluffy whip cream, and cups of happiness.
I honestly cannot believe I am almost done with high school. I remember being in 4th grade eager to enter the world of college– and now I am almost there. In just a couple of months I will no longer be living with my parents, no longer be depending on my parents for every little thing, no longer be a daily presence in my parent’s lives. I will miss them so much!
Aside from that, I am totally excited to start a new chapter of my life. Stay tuned for my college announcement in just a couple of months! Now let them eat cake (channeling my inner Marie-Antoinette).
YIELD: 6 PREP TIME: 30 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30-35 TOTAL TIME: 1 hour
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 egg white
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 jars (10 ounce) maraschino cherries, chopped and pat dry
- I pint whipping cream
- 1 cup powered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (separate from cake)
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees and a cake pan.
- Mix one teaspoon of the cake mix with the chocolate chips.
- Next in a separate bowl mx the cake mix, sour cream, egg whites, water, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
- Once combined add chopped and dried cherries and chocolate chips.
- Place batter into the cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the cake has set.
- Once the cake has finished baking whip cream, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixture.
- Frost and enjoy!