Today’s recipe is for the best chocolate cake. I am not joking; this is THE BEST chocolate cake… ever.
I am the designated baker in the house. If there is a birthday, celebration, or a sweet craving I am appointed by my family to bake something. For my Mom’s birthday, I decided that making a chocolate cake was the only way to celebrate. I mean, my Mom is the ultimate chocolate fan. Seriously, I call my self a chocoholic, but my Mom is the original chocoholic in my immediate family.
YIELD: 12 servings PREP TIME: 30 minutes
BAKE TIME: 20 minutes TOTAL TIME: 50 minutes
- 2 sticks butter
- 4 heaping tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 24 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 and greasing/dusting cake pans with cocoa.
- Next, in a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, and salt- set aside
- In a sauce pan melt butter; then add cocoa powder, mix until combined.
- Add boiling water to cocoa/butter mixture.
- Once cocoa/butter/water mixture boils for 30 seconds remove crime heat and pour into flour mixture. Mix until combined.
- In a separate bow mix together butter milk, baking soda, vanilla, and eggs. Pour butter milk mixture into flour/chocolate mixture; mix until combined.
- Pour batter into greased cake pans and bake for 20 minutes or until cake has set.
- Once cake is done baking allow to cool and then place into the fridge.
- While cake sits in the fridge heat heavy cream until very hot.
- Pour hot cream over chocolate and mix vigorously to combine.
- Allow heavy cream/chocolate mixture to cool in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Once mixture has cooled whip with electric mixer and add 2 teaspoons of vanilla.
- Frost cake to your desire, and enjoy!
- You can double the recipe to make a total of 4 layers.
- For the frosting I froze the mixture for 15 minutes and then whipped.
- Make sure to use the best quality chocolate for good results.
- You may have extra frosting depending on the way frost! If you do, freeze in a container of zip lock bag for optimal freshness.
Slightly adapted: here
Make this cake… today! 🙂